93. Adami HO, Bretthauer M, Emilsson L, Hernan MA, Kalager M,
Ludvigsson JF, et al. The continuing uncertainty about cancer risk
in inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 2016;65:889–93.
94. Choi CR, Bakir Il, Hart AL, Graham TA. Clonal evolution of colorectal
cancer in IBD. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017;14:218–29.
95. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes
statistics report: estimates of diabetes and its burden in the United
States, 2014. Atlanta (GA): U.S. Department of Health and Human
Habel LA, et al. Diabetes and cancer: a consensus report. Diabetes
97. Brodeur GM, Nichols KE, Plon SE, Schiffman JD, Malkin D. Pediatric
cancer predisposition and surveillance: an overview, and a tribute
to Alfred G. Knudson Jr. Clin Cancer Res 2017;23:e1-5.
98. Rebbeck TR. Precision prevention of cancer. Cancer Epidemiol
Biomarkers Prev 2014;23:2713–5.
99. Spira A, Yurgelun MB, Alexandrov L, Rao A, Bejar R, Polyak K, et
al. Precancer atlas to drive precision prevention trials. Cancer Res
100. QuickStats: Percentage of U. S. women aged 50-74 years who never
had a mammogram, by place of birth and length of residence in the
United States - National Health Interview Survey, 2013 and 2015.
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:309.
101. American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Facts & Figures 2017-
2019. Atlanta (GA): American Cancer Society; 2017.
102. Bleyer A, Budd T, Montello M. Adolescents and young adults with
cancer: the scope of the problem and criticality of clinical trials.
103. Colon-Otero G, Smallridge RC, Solberg LA, Keith TD, Woodward
TA, Willis FB, et al. Disparities in participation in cancer clinical
trials in the United States. Cancer 2008;112:447–54.
104. Murthy VH, Krumholz HM, Gross CP. Participation in cancer clinical
trials: Race-, sex-, and age-based disparities. JAMA 2004;291:2720–6.
105. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2015-2016 Drug Trials
Snapshots Summary Report. U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services, [updated 2017 Aug 1]. Available from: https://www.fda.
106. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures for African
Americans 2016-2018. Atlanta (GA): American Cancer Society; 2016.
107. Unger JM, Cook E, Tai E, Bleyer A. The role of clinical trial
participation in cancer research: barriers, evidence, and strategies.
Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2016;35:185–98.
108. Kesselheim AS, Wang B, Franklin JM, Darrow JJ. Trends in utilization
of FDA expedited drug development and approval programs, 1987-
2014: cohort study. BMJ 2015;351: h4633.
109. Prowell TM, Theoret MR, Pazdur R. Seamless oncology-drug
development. N Engl J Med 2016;374:2001–3.
110. Bhatt DL, Mehta C. Adaptive designs for clinical trials. N Engl J
Med 2016;375: 65–74.
111. Hyman DM, Laetsch T W, Kummar S, DuBois SG, Farago AF, Pappo
AS, et al. The efficacy of larotrectinib (LOXO- 101), a selective
tropomyosin receptor kinase (TRK) inhibitor, in adult and pediatric
TRK fusion cancers. J Clin Oncol 2017;35: LBA2501.
112. AACR Project GENIE: Powering precision medicine through an
international consortium. Cancer Discov. 2017 Jun 1. [Epub ahead
113. Sivan A, Corrales L, Hubert N, Williams JB, Aquino-Michaels
K, Earley ZM, et al. Commensal Bifidobacterium promotes
antitumor immunity and facilitates anti-PD-L1 efficacy. Science
114. Iida N, Dzutsev A, Stewart CA, Smith L, Bouladoux N, Weingarten
RA, et al. Commensal bacteria control cancer response to therapy by
modulating the tumor microenvironment. Science 2013;342:967–70.
115. Wargo J, Gopalakrishnan V, Spencer C, Reuben A, Karpinets T,
Hutchinson D, et al. Association of diversity and composition of the
gut microbiome with differential responses to PD- 1 based therapy
in patients with metastatic melanoma. J Clin Oncol 35:15s, 2017
(suppl 7S; abstract 2).
116. Markowitz LE, Meites E, Unger ER. Two vs three doses of human
papillomavirus vaccine: new policy for the second decade of the
vaccination program. JAMA 2016;316:2370–2.
117. Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, Valentini M, Fantò C,
Ostillio L, et al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D
mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography
compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM- 2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol 2016;17:1105–13.
118. National Cancer Policy Forum; Board on Health Care Services;
Institute of Medicine; National Academies of Science, Engineering
and Medicine. Appropriate use of advanced technologies for
radiation therapy and surgery in oncology: workshop summary.
Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 2016.
119. Primrose JN, Fox R, Palmer DH, Mirza D, Anthoney DA, Falk S,
et al. Adjuvant capecitabine for biliary tract cancer: The BILCAP
randomized study. J Clin Oncol 2017; 35( 15 Suppl):4006.
120. Langer CJ, Gadgeel SM, Borghaei H, Papadimitrakopoulou VA,
Patnaik A, Powell SF, et al. Carboplatin and pemetrexed with or
without pembrolizumab for advanced, non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomised, phase 2 cohort of the open-label
KEYNOTE-021 study. Lancet Oncol 2016;17:1497–508.
121. Palumbo A, Chanan-Khan A, Weisel K, Nooka AK, Masszi T,
Beksac M, et al. Daratumumab, bortezomib, and dexamethasone
for multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2016;375:754–66.
122. Dimopoulos MA, Oriol A, Nahi H, San-Miguel J, Bahlis NJ, Usmani
SZ, et al. Daratumumab, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone for
multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2016;375:1319–31.
123. Cassidy MR, Gholami S, Strong VE. Minimally invasive surgery: the
emerging role in gastric cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 2017;26:193–
124. Morrow M, Abrahamse P, Hofer TP, Ward KC, Hamiliton AS, Kurian
AW, et al. Trends in reoperation after initial lumpectomy for breast
cancer: Addressing overtreatment in surgical management. JAMA
Oncol 2017 Jun 5. [Epub ahead of print].