103. Topalian SL, Hodi FS, Brahmer JR, Gettinger SN, Smith DC, McDermott DF, et al.
Safety, Activity, and Immune Correlates of Anti–PD- 1 Antibody in Cancer. New
England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:2443-54.
104. Brahmer JR, Tykodi SS, Chow LQM, Hwu W-J, Topalian SL, Hwu P, et al. Safety
and Activity of Anti–PD-L1 Antibody in Patients with Advanced Cancer. New
England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:2455-65.
105. Sipuleucel-T Immunotherapy for Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. New
England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1966-8.
106. Rosenberg SA, Packard BS, Aebersold PM, Solomon D, Topalian SL, Toy ST, et al.
Use of Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Interleukin- 2 in the Immunotherapy of
Patients with Metastatic Melanoma. New England Journal of Medicine.
107. Rosenberg SA, Yang JC, Sherry RM, Kammula US, Hughes MS, Phan GQ, et al.
Durable Complete Responses in Heavily Pretreated Patients with Metastatic
Melanoma Using T-Cell Transfer Immunotherapy. Clinical Cancer Research.
108. Porter DL, Levine BL, Kalos M, Bagg A, June CH. Chimeric Antigen Receptor–
Modified T Cells in Chronic Lymphoid Leukemia. New England Journal of
109. Yu AL, Gilman AL, Ozkaynak MF, London WB, Kreissman SG, Chen HX, et al. Anti-
GD2 Antibody with GM-CSF, Interleukin- 2, and Isotretinoin for Neuroblastoma.
New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1324-34.
110. Neuroblastoma. [cited 2012 August 31]; Available from:
111. Kwak EL, Bang Y-J, Camidge DR, Shaw AT, Solomon B, Maki RG, et al. Anaplastic
Lymphoma Kinase Inhibition in Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer. New England
Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1693-703.
112. Barkovich KJ, Hariono S, Garske AL, Zhang J, Blair JA, Fan QW, et al. Kinetics of
inhibitor cycling underlie therapeutic disparities between EGFR-driven lung and
brain cancers. Cancer Discovery. 2012.
113. Vivanco I, Robins HI, Rohle D, Campos C, Grommes C, Nghiemphu PL, et al.
Differential Sensitivity of Glioma- versus Lung Cancer–Specific EGFR Mutations to
EGFR Kinase Inhibitors. Cancer Discovery. 2012.
114. Van Cutsem E, Köhne C-H, Hitre E, Zaluski J, Chang Chien C-R, Makhson A, et al.
Cetuximab and Chemotherapy as Initial Treatment for Metastatic Colorectal
Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;360:1408-17.
115. Comprehensive molecular characterization of human colon and rectal cancer.
116. Wetterstrand KA. DNA Sequencing Costs: Data from the NHGRI Large-Scale
Genome Sequencing Program. [cited 2012 August 31]; Available from:
117. Economic Impact of the Human Genome Project. Columbus, OH: Battelle; 2011.
118. Ehrlich EM. An Economic Engine - NIH Research, Employment, and the Future of
the Medical Innovation Sector. Washington, DC: United for Medical Research;
119. Cerci JJ, Trindade E, Pracchia LF, Pitella FA, Linardi CCG, Soares J, et al. Cost
Effectiveness of Positron Emission Tomography in Patients With Hodgkin’s
Lymphoma in Unconfirmed Complete Remission or Partial Remission After First-Line Therapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010;28:1415-21.
120. Hornberger J, Chien R, Krebs K, Hochheiser L. US Insurance Program’s
Experience With a Multigene Assay for Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Journal of
Oncology Practice. 2011;7:e38s-e45s.
121. Atkinson RD, Ezell SJ, Giddings LV, Stewart LA, Andes SM. Leadership in Decline:
Assessing U.S> International Competitiveness in Biomedical Research.
Washington, DC 20005: The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
and United for Medical Research; 2012.
122. Brown ER, Ojeda VD, Wyn R, Levan R. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Access to
Health Insurance and Health Care. Los Angeles, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation
UCLA Center for Health Policy Research; 2000.
123. Services DoHaH, Quality AfHRa. National Healthcare Disparities Report, 2011.
Bethesda, MD: Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare
Research and Quality (AHRQ) 2011.
124. MS RSMMM, MS DL, FACP AAM. Race and Health Disparities in Patient Refusal of
Surgery for Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A SEER Cohort Study.0: 1-6.
125. Weng Y, Korte JE. Racial disparities in being recommended to surgery for oral and
oropharyngeal cancer in the United States. Community Dentistry and Oral
Epidemiology. 2012;40: 80-8.
126. Warner E, Foulkes W, Goodwin P, Meschino W, Blondal J, Paterson C, et al.
Prevalence and penetrance of BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations in unselected
Ashkenazi Jewish women with breast cancer. Journal of the National Cancer
127. Summary. PCI. Genetics of Breast and Ovarian Cancer (PDQ®) - Health
Professional. 2009 04/24/2009 [cited 2012 August 31]; Available from:
128. LAG R, D M, M K, DG S, N H, MJ H, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-
2005, based on November 2007 SEER data submission. 2008 [cited 2012 August
31]; Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005/
129. Orzechowski W, Walker R. The Tax Burden on Tobacco. Arlington, VA: Orzechowski
and Walker; 2012.
130. Total and per capita adult yearly consumption of manufactured cigarettes and
percentage changes in per capita consumption—United States, 1900–2006.
[cited 2012 August 31]; Available from:
131. Lewitt EM, Coate D. The potential for using excise taxes to reduce smoking.
Journal of health economics. 1982;1:121-45.
132. Huang J, Chaloupka FJIV. The Impact of the 2009 Federal Tobacco Excise Tax
Increase on Youth Tobacco Use. National Bureau of Economic Research Working
Paper Series. 2012;No. 18026.
133. Office of Surveillance E, and Laboratory Services. The Behavioral Risk Factor
Surveillance System. [cited 2012 August 31]; Available from:
134. Kalos M, Levine BL, Porter DL, Katz S, Grupp SA, Bagg A, et al. T Cells with
Chimeric Antigen Receptors Have Potent Antitumor Effects and Can Establish
Memory in Patients with Advanced Leukemia. Science Translational Medicine.
135. Medicine Io. Extending the Spectrum of Precompetitive Collaboration in Oncology
Research:Workshop Summary: The National Academies Press; 2010.
136. The impact of sequestration on non-defense jobs and services. 2012 July 25
[cited 2012 August 31]; Available from: http://www.appropriations.senate.gov/ht-
137. Letter from Assistant Secretary for Financial Resources to The Honorable Edward
Markey, U.S. House of Representatives. 2012 June 29 [cited 2012 August 31];
on sequester cuts.pdf
138. Stark A, Kleer CG, Martin I, Awuah B, Nsiah-Asare A, Takyi V, et al. African ancestry
and higher prevalence of triple-negative breast cancer: findings from an
international study. Cancer. 2010;116:4926-32.
139. Stead LA, Lash TL, Sobieraj JE, Chi DD, Westrup JL, Charlot M, et al. Triple-negative breast cancers are increased in black women regardless of age or body
mass index. Breast cancer research : BCR. 2009;11:R18.
140. Dalton WS, Sullivan DM, Yeatman TJ, Fenstermacher DA. The 2010 Health Care
Reform Act: a potential opportunity to advance cancer research by taking cancer
personally. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American
Association for Cancer Research. 2010;16:5987-96.
141. Hait WN. Forty years of translational cancer research. Cancer Discov. 2011;1:383-
142. Scannell JW, Blanckley A, Boldon H, Warrington B. Diagnosing the decline in
pharmaceutical R&D efficiency. Nature reviews Drug discovery. 2012;11:191-
143. Riedl CC, Ponhold L, Flory D, Weber M, Kroiss R, Wagner T, et al. Magnetic
resonance imaging of the breast improves detection of invasive cancer,
preinvasive cancer, and premalignant lesions during surveillance of women at
high risk for breast cancer. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the
American Association for Cancer Research. 2007;13:6144-52.
144. Schoder H, Herrmann K, Gonen M, Hricak H, Eberhard S, Scardino P, et al. 2-
[18F]fluoro-2-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography for the detection of
disease in patients with prostate-specific antigen relapse after radical
prostatectomy. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American
Association for Cancer Research. 2005;11:4761-9.
145. Herrmann K, Wieder HA, Buck AK, Schoffel M, Krause BJ, Fend F, et al. Early
response assessment using 3’-deoxy- 3’-[18F]fluorothymidine-positron emission
tomography in high-grade non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Clinical cancer research : an
official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2007;13:3552-8.
146. Chung MK, Jeong HS, Park SG, Jang J Y, Son YI, Choi JY, et al. Metabolic tumor
volume of [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed
tomography predicts short-term outcome to radiotherapy with or without
chemotherapy in pharyngeal cancer. Clinical cancer research : an official journal
of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2009;15:5861-8.
147. Colditz GA, Wolin KY, Gehlert S. Applying what we know to accelerate cancer
prevention. Sci Transl Med. 2012;4:127rv4.
148. Smokefree States and Cities in the United States. 2012 July [cited 2012 August
31]; Available from:
149. Kris MG, Johnson BE, Kwiatkowski DJ, Iafrate AJ, Wistuba II, Aronson SL, et al.
Identification of driver mutations in tumor specimens from 1,000 patients with
lung adenocarcinoma: The NCI’s Lung Cancer Mutation Consortium (LCMC). J Clin
150. Gerber DE, Minna JD. ALK inhibition for non-small cell lung cancer: from
discovery to therapy in record time. Cancer Cell. 2010;18:548-51.